The Difference In Times



Generation is such a powerful word. It divides not only a family into sections but also divides morals, values, and culture. It is so frightening and surreal for everyone. The gap between each generation runs far deeper and has a far  greater effect on the human mind that we thought. Recently, I had a very insightful conversation with an old friend about how much times have changed now compared to back in our childhood days. This shows us how frightening technology can be, how culture, war, and politics can shift and change and shape an entire generation. 

The thing that has impacted many of generations the most has been the evolution of technology. I remember when I was young-- television, radios, Walkmans, and cassette players were such a huge thing. It was fun to just sit by a radio at dinner time with your parents and listen to the news or stories that were told over the radio. It was something you could share and do together as a family. You would enjoy a good soap opera on television together at dinner. Then gameboys came out, playstation, and other gaming consoles came out and children started to spend more time on their own. 

Nowadays- everywhere you turn and see is people on their iPhones, samsungs, and other smart phones. There is very little physical interaction between people and family members. I have seen it more than once at multiple places where a family or a couple sits down and all they do immediately is pull out their phones and disappear into their own worlds. That is very disappointing and upsetting to see. I believe I have mentioned this before in a previous post but I have seen mothers stuff iPhones and iPads into the hands of toddlers, of kids no older than 5 or 6...and let them do whatever the heck they want.  As long as their kids stay quiet, so parents can continue a conversation or do whatever they were doing. Do parents know how dangerous that is? They could lose their eyesight or have to start waring glasses at a very early age. What happened to having meaningful talks with your kids? 

Other than those digital pastimes, the other things I would use to spend time doing was reading and writing and doing handcrafts. Parents were very strict in my memory during my childhood years. You were not allowed to throw tantrums in public if you did--you were going to have to find your own way home. There were no smart phones back then so you couldn't say: I'll pop the address in google maps and map my way home. Parents will literally leave their kids in the middle of a retail store wailing and walk off and children would be desperate to find their parents. 

In our current time, the best remedy I have seen used on kids who are throwing tantrums in public places are stuffing an iPhone in their face. When a child asks for the iPhone or iPad, parents just hand it over without any objection. Parents can leave their kids unattended not even showing a shred of worry and their kids are often so focused on their screens that they don't even realize their parents are gone. This is ridiculous and unbelievable. Where does this amount of security come from? Knowing their kids will be able to find their parents with the device in their hands?

I didn't get my first cell phone until I was a junior in high school and it was a flip phone. I loved my flip phone, hearing it clap shut was the most satisfying sound, and tapping the number pad to text was so much fun. And that was all I used my phone for, texting. Now, kids are using their iPhones and iPads for apps, for youtube, for chatting with god knows who. Parents don't know what's going on in their kids' worlds. 

Another funny thing is- do you guys remember when you got your first computer or laptop and what brand it was?i remember my first computer was in the 7th grade and it was a HP desktop. It was a giant. I didn't get my first laptop until I was in high school and it was still a HP. I was satisfied with it as long as it got my papers done and I could use it for the internet. I didn't complain about brands or style. 

However, now all kids want is apple brand products. They want to appear cool and caught up with what's in and what's not. A friend's ten year old niece asked for an apple laptop for Christmas this year. We all looked at them as if they were insane. Why does a ten year old need an apple laptop? What could they possibly need an apple laptop for? I can see a business man or college student needing an apple laptop- but a ten year old...please.

The way we raise kids right now are very different from how I was raised, how my parents were raised. Right now the way--people are raising their kids, giving them whatever they ask for and spoiling them to such a degree is only the beginning of deterioration. Give them a book, give them a stuffed animal, a video game, or just have a conversation with them but please just don't stuff an iPhone into their hands at a young age. 


Comments

Popular Posts