Thoughts on Game of Thrones Book Series



I recently attempted to read the monster-sized series, Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. I am a huge fan of the series on HBO and could not longer resist the urge to give the books another attempt.

Martin’s writing style and prose flow is amazing and the way he chose to dedicate separate chapters for the major characters is amazing. Its clean and organized and gives me a taste of each character’s inner thoughts, inner worlds, and portrays who they really are rather than basing it on dialogue and scenes. It flows but at the same time I feel that there is a little lack of exposition and way too much dialogue. You hardcore fans may want to bite my head off but that’s how I feel though I am only on the second book. I have been told too much exposition is not good and at the same time too little is also a bad thing. In my own writing, I tend to use too much exposition and I feel at times that that’s true but exposition is just necessary at times to me.

I have read many reviews on the book series and felt that some don’t like the way the chapters are separate, jumping back and forth between the viewpoints of characters. If I had to describe this type of style, it would be omniscient but in different chapters to keep characters’ thoughts organized. It’s very powerful and effectively used in the books. However, I must say that I don’t like reading about some characters and at times I want to skip them but afraid to miss something important.

Some of the characters I enjoy reading the most is Bran, Catelyn, Jon, Ayra, Sansa, Tyrion, Dany, and I think that’s it. I would want to see a few chapters of Cersei or Jamie Lannister. I am not saying the other characters aren’t interesting but it sort of throws the reader off when you have Theon or another character have chapters and it just takes the suspense away and leaves the reader feeling irritated.

When I first started reading the series, it reminded me of Three Kingdoms of Romance and Condor Heroes because both books and historical documentaries had a very long list of characters and several settings that switched back and forth. At times it was slow and at times it was fast and at times it was so intense and dramatic that it left a mark. It’s an enjoyable read and insightful especially for my writing but it’s not an easy read!

My friend said I even read Harry Potter so this shouldn’t be too hard! We shall see!


Comments

Popular Posts